Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Lightbulb GAP insurance providers

Hello.

Nissan are looking at charging 300 for GAP insurance. I do believe GAP is worthwhile on any new car, but not worth 300.

In the past I've shopped around and used various suppliers for GAP, but that was some time ago and I no longer have details.

Thought it'd be helpful to pool some resources and find out where folk are getting GAP insurance and for how much?

Will make my own contributions when I get some quotes in.

Paul

Re: GAP insurance providers

Quote Originally Posted by evlution View Post
    Hello.

Nissan are looking at charging 300 for GAP insurance. I do believe GAP is worthwhile on any new car, but not worth 300.
    In the past I've shopped around and used various suppliers for GAP, but that was some time ago and I no longer have details.
    Thought it'd be helpful to pool some resources and find out where folk are getting GAP insurance and for how much?
    Will make my own contributions when I get some quotes in. Paul
    Do you live in a low-risk area? Are you a low-mileage careful driver? Have you considered self-insuring? It's worth considering the odds! Keep the 300. yourself to spend on something else - it could be a very good bet if you reckon you can (almost for sure) avoid a write-off situation...
    Retired now but still fascinated by power systems, e.g. Lithium Ion batteries, but I coudn't afford a Roadster. I also wanted five seats and a boot.

Did a bit of digging and this is one company I've used in the past, for myself and then my in-laws also used them on a new Volvo.

http://www.click4gap.co.uk/

As a rough estimate I got a quote of 160 for "return to invoice" and 240 for "replacement car". That's three years with a "gap" of 10,000 (difference between insurance company payout and ability to replace or return to invoice).

This made me wonder so far as "return to invoice" goes. Given that's 5000 less than the actual cost of a car, so I wonder is "replacement car" a must for a vehicle like the Leaf with a hefty government grant knocking down the price?

Also, a quick Google shows many alternative suppliers: http://easygap.co.uk/ http://www.gapinsurance.co.uk/ http://www.ala.co.uk/ etc.

Any experience and advice gratefully received!

Yes you want to take return to vehicle not return to invoice on the Leaf, I picked up a brand new unregistered old model leaf, it was 21.5K on the road however if I took return to invoice gap 21K wouldnt get me the equivalent car in the new range, I would have to spec up the Acenta to meet the save level I have with the current car, this would take me to 24-25K,for the sake of a bit more money its worth doing RTV.

The government incentive is taken off the invoice so the gap cover covers the on the road price which will always have the grant taken off so you need to make sure your gap cover covers the on the road price the dealer is quoting, before any dealer discount or dealer deposits.

I used directgap.co.uk 134 quid for 2 years RTV 15,000 gap cover, this is assuming the Leaf will not be worth less than 10 grand after 2 years ha ha which isnt likely.

Summer Leafer

I am all of those things, "live in a low-risk area? low-mileage careful driver?" but was burgled a few years back, and the keys to my 11 month old Zafira were stolen, along with the car and various other household items, whilst I was safely sleeping upstairs. Luckily the car was still within the 12 month period of full replacement insurance, so I got a new one. Happens all the time, apparently.

Leafer

Following advice in this thread I took out 3 years "back to vehicle" insurance with ALA for 168 which covers a difference of 15k, hopefully I won't need it but it's there if I do.

I had never heard about this insurance before reading this thread so thanks for that.