Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

EVSE Build Day - Build your own Portable EVSE charger

OOOO I like a Big Reveal. This Sunday (20 Oct) a few of us are gathering for the UKs FIRST EVSE Build Day..... we will be Building 3 or 4 32 Amp PORTABLE EVSE chargers. The whole event will be recorded for publication to YouTube and we will be Tweeting through the day using the Twitter hashtag #EVSEBuildDay

What?
    The objective is to show just how simple an Electric Car Charging station is; essentially 3 components. The completed unit will be able to charge all current and future electric cars as you can choose what connectivity.

Why?
    This Portable EVSE will allow an Electric Car driver to connect to 'normal' electrical outlets found on Camp Sites, yachting marinas, commercial and hotels as well as the early Zero Carbon World Charging stations. This 32 Amp Commando Connection will allow a BMW i3 or a Leaf Mk 1.5 or a Tesla to charge at the full 32 Amps. Equally you could choose to fit a 16A commando plug, or indeed anything else you would like. Or build a simple 32A to 16A commando converter - we'll show you that as well!

An electric car, like the Nissan LEAF, comes with a charging cable (AKA EVSE brick) that trickle charges a Nissan LEAF at 10 Amps, meaning about 10 hours for a full charge. Using a dedicated charging station, or this Portable EVSE Charger, the same car could charge 60% faster at 16 Amps from a commando plug connection, and hence charges 60% quicker. If you have a BMW i3, or if you have paid 800 for the 6.6kWh charger in the Mk1.5 LEAF, you can charge at a full 32 Amps using this Portable EVSE, from a 32A Commando Connection reducing charging time to 4 hours.

We will also be showing, in a 2nd advanced video, how to install a variable switch so you can vary the charge. For instance, if you have a Solar PV installation why not charge at 7 Amps without having to import electricity (dependent on the sun being out). OR imagine hooking up to a 3 pin socket where you don't know how robust the wiring is so reduce the charge to reduce a fire risk.

As a Nissan LEAF / BMW i3 / Vauxhall Ampera / Citroen C-Zero / Mistubishi iMiev driver this will give you the flexibility to charge where and how you want. It's an essential piece of kit for the roving EV driver!

When?
    The recording is taking place on Sunday 20th October. Video is planned to be released within a few days via YouTube; Tweets will be live throughout the day

Who?
    Taking part:
    Grant Thomas (me) - hosting the event and building one of the Portable Chargers. Nissan LEAF Mk1 Driver
    Kevin Sharpe - Founder and Patron of the Zero Carbon World charity. Tesla Roadster Driver
    David Peilow - EV Advocate, occasionally throws things in space. Vauxhall Ampera Driver
    Richard Goldsmith - behind the lens for the day. Vauxhall Ampera Driver

All participants are volunteering their time for this venture.

We would have really wanted to include many more but wanted to get the video sorted first then there is always the possibility of future workshops; subject to the capacity of my double garage and good will of the Oh!

How?
    Some people got very excited when we first mentioned this. We will be putting warnings out there that playing with any electricity caries risk; however the skill level for this build is estimated akin to wiring a domestic plug.

The parts used to construct the kit will be available from the Zero Carbon World shop shortly.
    Last edited by hambrook; 16-10-2013 at 03:40 PM.
    Grant Thomas - EVangelist - E-mail: grant@grantthomas.com Web: about.me/grantthomas
    29,000+ miles since August 2012 in the 100% Electric Nissan LEAF powered by 4 kWp Solar PV installation.

Summer Leafer
    Fantastic, I can't wait to watch the video. I love this homebrew stuff so best of luck with it!

Blog Entries
    Items For Sale

Re: EVSE Build Day - Build your own Portable EVSE charger

I like the idea of having a unit where you can select the charging rate and then have the necessary connectors to hook up to the power. Get one with a type 2 connection so we can use the current lead with it and you have a very versatile charging ability.
    September 2013 Pearl White Nissan Leaf Acenta
    Trying to decide to keep it, get a new one or walk away !!

Blog Entries

+1 to that!
    Now "In Leaf" 2012 Gen 1, 3,450 mile Ex Demo, pearl white for less than half rebated price. Powered mainly by 4KW (Sanyo Hit) Solar Roof harvest so now"smugging" along instead of chugging on dinosaur juice cartel. "Tesla Light" until they make one. Seeing is beleafing! Space ship Leaf is from another planet, public charging brings you down to earth. You can tell a pioneer by the number of arrows in his BACK!

Looking forward
    Oct 2013 White LEAF Acenta
    6.6kW charging upgrade
    ChargeMaster home 32amp

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaChris View Post
    Fantastic, I can't wait to watch the video. I love this homebrew stuff so best of luck with it!
    Just a sneaky bit more info; the EVSE protocol module is already used in MANY commercially available charging stations along with the contactor and the RCBO. For instance inside my ROLEC charging station is a Zero Carbon World EVSE Protocol module. As for the case we will be using; it's aluminium.

So more of an upgrade from the commercially available units ;-)
    Grant Thomas - EVangelist - E-mail: grant@grantthomas.com Web: about.me/grantthomas
    29,000+ miles since August 2012 in the 100% Electric Nissan LEAF powered by 4 kWp Solar PV installation.

Committed Leafer

I think I just did a little wee.....
    Black 2013 (Gen 1.5) Tekna, driven exclusively in ECO and B mode. Lifetime economy 4.5 miles/kWh. 39 psi all round.

Range Tests: Sunderland City Drive, Commute to Metrocentre Trip #1, Trip #2
    Importer of LeafDD (Enhanced SOC and Battery Health Diagnostics) see here for details

Fantastic. Looking forward to viewing ...

In preparation for tomorrow; tidied up the junction box bodge with a nice new consumer unit controlling 32 Amp EVSE, outside plug, 16A and 32A commando. Obviously only 32Amps max (4mm Twin & Earth clipped to brickwork 10 meters) in total so controllable by switches in fuses. Thanks to Steve Dolling (Emsworth Sparky) for connecting this up at 7:15am on a Saturday Morning!

BEFORE:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6706.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	2374

AFTER:

Name:	IMG_6713.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	2375

Name:	IMG_6711.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	2376

Used some of the 4mm NYY-J cable for the new 32Amp Commando plug. I might upgrade the 4mm Twin & Earth (32 Amps) supply to 10mm Twin & Earth (64 Amps) if we get a second EV.

The meter on the top is an Elster A100C kWh meter - the same that are used for Solar PV installs. I got this one for 20 off ebay and it allows me to take daily readings of how much the car actually takes to charge. Really handy for just a few quid.

Great job! This is the kind of interaction i love getting a leaf, a good bunch of bods working together for the greater good! Getting a leaf is not just getting a car, its so much more! Is there any chance of a few pics of the internals of the fuse box and the meter etc?
    Recently elected as Membership Secretary of the EVDA-UK (Electric Vehicle Drivers Association-UK), currently have a new Sunderland 2013 build, Gun metal Tekna with 6.6kw charger option since 14th December 2013 via the Motability scheme. Regular taker of 180 miles & upwards trips without issues! #LoveLeaf

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast