Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Summer Leafer
    Blog Entries

And now, the end is near . . . .

Should I turn off the lights now?

Committed Leafer

Re: And now, the end is near . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by spligosh View Post
    Should I turn off the lights now?
    Doesn't the Leaf do that by itself?
    2016 30kWh Acenta, Bronze, Solar Spoiler
    4kWp Solar PV + SolarImmersion + 6 Amp EVSE cable

It certainly is quiet in here at the moment; perhaps the time is close. But I notice your post has (currently) over 40 views since it was posted this morning, so although people aren't currently saying much, there are a few still reading.

Hello, lurking people! If you're still interested in this site, please add a message to this thread - even just a short "I'm still here." will help us decide to keep the site alive!
    Jeffery Lay (http://about.me/JeFurry)

IBM Notes/Domino/XWorks development,
    Apple Mac & iOS support.
    LeafTalk moderator, Nissan LEAF Global Advisory Board (2013/14 & 2014/15)
    LEAF owner since 2011. Currently driving "EVii", a red 2014 Tekna with all the trimmings.

Please remember: Give Reputation to the author using the button below, if you like or respect any post you read. Especially if it's from me!

"I'm still here." EVs are slowly gaining a foothold and becoming more mainstream; the new drivers are not necessarily eco or techno minded and just see EVs as reliable and cheap to run transport, thus they are less likely to join an EV forum. Leaf Talk has been/is very useful and I'd be sorry to see it close.
    Now on Leaf #3, a Magnetic Red Tekna 30kWh/6.6kW collected 26 May 2017. Charged using Economy 7 Green Electricity + Car tariff from Ecotricity and PV power on sunny days. Rolec EV WP1140 32 amp charging point. Averaging approximately 1,000 miles per month.

Summer Leafer

I keep dropping in but the lack of activity is disappointing.

Not surprising though as Nissan seem to have given up on their Leaf, it is clearly far too long since there was some news from them.

If this forum closes through inactivity Nissan has lost a great ancillary advertising platform.

I lurk and pop in here from time to time.

Although I only had my Leaf for 18 months I really enjoyed the EV motoring experience and found this site very useful. I do think that the Nissan Leaf in its current form is starting to look a little dated, given that it was introduced in late 2010/early 2011 and battery capacity has increased by just 25% from 24kWh to 30kWh.

Other mainstream EVs are turning up now with 33kWh, 41kWh or larger packs which I think are essential for mass adoption of BEVs. Too many people still think they need to drive 200-250 miles in a single trip without stopping for any kind of break.

I don't know any details about the next generation Leaf, but I'm sure it'll breathe new life back in to the forum. Perhaps Nissan should use the Renault Zoe platform to produce a Nissan Note/Micra type/size of vehicle for people who aren't in the market for a medium sized family car, or in the case of the eNV200, a mini MPV/van.

2014 Nissan Leaf Acenta 24kWh, 6.6kW, Pearl Black
    My Electric Avenue Social Trials participant and Leaf owner July 2014 February 2016

As westfielder said above EVs have become much more mainstream. In 2013 when I bought my Leaf any advice and help given was really appreciated especially as the infrastructure was so thinly spread. Remember the "Yorkshire Gap"? There were posts then that said in a few years time we would look back and laugh at that. Plus of course the uncertainty of how long the battery would last.
    Main discussion now seems to be about co-ordinating the multitude of charge points into a single system with a clear pricing structure. We will look back at today's system in a few years time with amazement that it ever worked! (Does it work?)
    Those EV drivers who still like to take longer trips are probably the same people that still visit the forums but I would think that most newer EV owners only charge at home+work, only use the car for shorter journeys and don't see EVs as new technology any more.

Quote Originally Posted by westfielder View Post
    EVs are slowly gaining a foothold and becoming more mainstream; the new drivers are not necessarily eco or techno minded and just see EVs as reliable and cheap to run transport, thus they are less likely to join an EV forum. Leaf Talk has been/is very useful and I'd be sorry to see it close.
    Agreed, on all counts, although I suspect that SpeakEV had a wider scope for mainstreamers (at least while it was more independent - its new AutoGuide ownership could affect that positively or negatively).

Quote Originally Posted by Wulnoth View Post
    Not surprising though as Nissan seem to have given up on their Leaf, it is clearly far too long since there was some news from them.
    If this forum closes through inactivity Nissan has lost a great ancillary advertising platform.
    I'm not sure we were ever that useful directly to them, but as a source of information and reassurance, I think we were part of a useful grassroots movement.

I've found Nissan to be good at promising the right things, but very slow to deliver. The company management's inertia and resistance to new ideas is huge - I'm amazed the LEAF ever got built! Someone must have really campaigned hard! Also, frankly, they're rather backwards in technological terms. The LEAF was a great step forward in industrialisation and mass production of EVs, but aside from the battery chemistry and motor efficiency, the rest of the car's tech isn't impressive, it varies between decent and rubbish, and the year-on-year improvements have been drip-fed. Some of these poor decisions were exposed later, such as the 16A charging being slow, and using 2G modems for CARWINGS even when 4G was spreading. The shutting down of 2G networks in the US means that every LEAF has to be upgraded to 3G or CARWINGS dies. And CARWINGS has been so embarrassingly poor anyway... but that's a familiar tale

Quote Originally Posted by Watts Up View Post
    I do think that the Nissan Leaf in its current form is starting to look a little dated, given that it was introduced in late 2010/early 2011 and battery capacity has increased by just 25% from 24kWh to 30kWh.
    I still like the quirky look of the LEAF, but I'm on my second one now, and it has the black leather interior. I really miss the light-coloured interior on the first-gen and the lower models... it made the car feel like the bridge of the starship Enterprise, rather than much like every other car.

Too many people still think they need to drive 200-250 miles in a single trip without stopping for any kind of break.
    Well, some of them do occasionally. But that's the thing.. occasionally. We're all reluctant to add hassle and worry to a long trip, even though it may happen only once or twice a year. Funny how the perception is bigger than the problem, isn't it?

I don't know any details about the next generation Leaf, but I'm sure it'll breathe new life back in to the forum.
    Maybe so. I think we'll need to widen our scope somewhat though - the LEAF is no longer the main mass-production EV.

Quote Originally Posted by EdenLeaf View Post
    Main discussion now seems to be about co-ordinating the multitude of charge points into a single system with a clear pricing structure. We will look back at today's system in a few years time with amazement that it ever worked! (Does it work?)
    It sort-of does. It's still patchy, but vastly improved over those early days.

Quote Originally Posted by EdenLeaf View Post
    Those EV drivers who still like to take longer trips are probably the same people that still visit the forums but I would think that most newer EV owners only charge at home+work, only use the car for shorter journeys and don't see EVs as new technology any more.
    You're probably right. LEAFtalk is now more of a niche forum, and since there's a lot more information out there now, our kind of insider knowledge is less in demand. Still useful on occasion, though.

We should probably have a reorganisation of the many disparate forum topics into a smaller range - we have many more than we need, and some are barely used. I can do this, though I'd want to run any major changes past the owner first. But it's one thing that SpeakEV did very well, and we never got quite as good at.

Apple Mac & iOS support.
    LEAF owner since 2011. Currently driving "EVii", a red 2014 Tekna with all the trimmings.

Please remember: Give Reputation to the author using the button below, if you like or respect any post you read. Especially if it's from me!

I'm presuming you have Google Analytics running on the site so you can see exactly what traffic you're getting and from where?
    Leaf owner since August 2013 with a 14k Gen 1 2011 Leaf. 12,000 miles a year for around 200. Economy 7 charged on Ecotricity. Current savings, to date, over my previous Audi A4 Sport Cabriolet of around 8,5000. Longest round trip so far 156 miles. 10 capacity bars (1st lost September 2015 @ 36k miles, 2nd lost 26th February 2017 @ 51k miles)

I routinely run a Safari Content Blocker, so I can't actually see any analytics code to confirm its presence, because on my machines it isn't present! At some point, I'll check, but I'm at work right now, and busy.

I expect there is some sort of analytics package running, but even if there is, I don't have access to the results. I have board-level admin access, not server-level root access, which is limited to the owner, "LeafTalk_UK".

-Jef.

Apple Mac & iOS support.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast