Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Gloucester, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom

Will the Chademo chgarging port be blanked off on the 2013 Leaf in the UK?

If you look at the console between the driver and passenger, where the USB port is you will notice two blanked off switches. These are where the heated seat switches are in the rest of the world. With 32 amp charging coming in and Nissan GB attitude to customer access to Chademo charging stations, what is the likelihood that these ports will be blanked off on the 2013 Leaf.

Re: Will the Chademo chgarging port be blanked off on the 2013 Leaf in the UK?

I really do worry if Nissan think that 32A charging is their EV 'game-changer'. For most non-EV drivers, the difference between 13/10A, 16A and 32A isn't very obvious. It wasn't to me when I bought my Leaf, and i wouldn't pay a lot to get a 32A charger upgrade (even if it was possible)

What would change the game;

1) more Kwh in the battery pack

or (and)

2) more DC fast chargers.

I've just done a day trip to edinburgh in atrocious weather into a headwind, over a hill etc, but with a DC fast charger at A F Noble nissan able to recharge and get me home again. 130 mile motorway round trip in a day, it's what we need, and what DC Chademo fast charging (not 32A charging) was designed for. 32A charging would still have meant a 3 hour stop somewhere, rather than the 20 mins at A F noble DC Chademo fast charger. The more I use the DC Chademo fast charger in Edinburgh, the more annoyed i get with the lack of the rest of the promised '60'...

On other hand Nissan is suppying 20kW CHAdeMO chargers/dischargers for home so they may have incetive to keep this port. I do not think that 32A is big change, note that Zoe would be able to tap into 3phase AC for 6 times faster charging.

Quote Originally Posted by September-2 View Post
    On other hand Nissan is suppying 20kW CHAdeMO chargers/dischargers for home so they may have incetive to keep this port. I do not think that 32A is big change, note that Zoe would be able to tap into 3phase AC for 6 times faster charging.
    They have kept that very quiet, please tell us more, I cannot understand why we have not heard about it at BEVoB, when we have been talking at length about charging options. Very strange . In any case, why on Earth would anyone want a 20KW charger at home. I cannot think of anything more pointless. As for the 32 Amp charging, it would be enough for the dealers to turn around their cars on site and that seems to be all Nissan GB have any interest in.

The 20KW Chademo unit is the one which enables Vehicle to Home power, but the power can flow in either direction.

I think it would actually be really useful at home, especially if your home ends up with more than one Leaf/iMieve/whoknows......
    2011 Leaf in Sky Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Flaninacupboard View Post
    The 20KW Chademo unit is the one which enables Vehicle to Home power, but the power can flow in either direction.

I think it would actually be really useful at home, especially if your home ends up with more than one Leaf/iMieve/whoknows......
    This would only really be useful if it was portable - ie replacing generators at fairs and fetes. Tried Google search but no info yet. but i would defo be interested for my business.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ianto View Post
    2) more DC fast chargers.
    or Nissan use the Renault Chameleon charging technology and support 43kW AC which will be deployed everywhere because it's a fraction of the cost of DC charging infrastructure

Committed Leafer

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Sharpe View Post
    .......... because it's a fraction of the cost of DC charging infrastructure
    Kevin - can you explain why? after all any AC supply (whether three phase or single phase) has to be rectified to DC to charge batteries. So I don't understand why an off-board rectifier and control (i.e. current DC 50kW Chademo) is any more expensive than and on-board 43kW charger. If anything I would have expected this to be the other way around as every car has to have the on-board kit making the cars cost more.
    The difference between Pounds Sterling and Monopoly Money is just in your belief system.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
    Kevin - can you explain why?
    I'm talking about the reality on the ground, not what's theoretically possible... so, when the ZOE arrives it will be able to travel widely because it will use the grid without the need for expensive external hardware. This is what makes the Tesla so 'practical' today.... the ability to use what's already out there

Lets put this into context... I could sell a 43kW Charging Station for 500 and have it installed in almost every hotel, restaurant, and pub across the UK. The 43kW Charging Station would almost fit inside one of our standard WallPods;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZCW_Type_2_Production.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	1132

Compare this with the struggles Nissan are having giving away 60 DC chargers...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
    If anything I would have expected this to be the other way around as every car has to have the on-board kit making the cars cost more.
    I think the Renault ZOE has already exploded that myth.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast